You are hereHome ›
Elgin Community College
During its first year participating in Achieving the Dream, Elgin Community College (ECC) embraced the spirit of a culture of evidence and demonstrated a genuine commitment to student success by laying the groundwork for the implementation of core initiatives.
ECC is working to create cohesion among its initiatives. After a year of development and planning, the college is looking to drive collaboration among the following strategies in the coming year:
- Academic Advising—Collaborate with the Developmental Education workgroup to identify students most in need of advising; and work with the First Year Experience team to embed advising within the College 101 course and New Student Orientation.
- First Year Experience—Identify synergies among College 101, GSD 101, RDG 110 and other student success courses; research the feasibility of mandating College 101 for all part-time and developmental students; and scaling participation of full-time faculty in student success courses.
- Developmental Education—Bring to scale the Summer Bridges program and MTH099; further professional development through the CETL system; further revise curricula; research the viability and benefits of peer tutoring.
- Culture and Relations—Roll-out competency training to key administrators, faculty and staff; hold team-building sessions with key departments.
Located in the Fox River Valley, mid-way between Chicago and Rockford, Illinois, in a city ranked among the ten fastest-growing cities in the state,; Elgin is home to some 19,275 students.
ECC strives for both academic excellence and student success. Its targeted assistance to students of color, first-generation students, and low-income students is based on the understanding that equity involves more than just access to the college’s resources. Roughly 40% of the college’s students are Hispanic and another 10% are students of color. Sitting at the intersections of urban and rural communities, Elgin’s diverse student population—while coming from varied backgrounds—face similar socio-economic hurdles along the way to persisting and earning degrees and/or certificates.
Student Success Strategies
Elgin Community College is using the following strategies to impact student success:
- The Network
- Interventions Showcase
- Right from the Start
- Knowledge Center
- Cutting Edge Series
- Principles and Practices
- Tools for all States
- Achieving Success (Policy Newsletter)
- Data Notes (Data Newsletter)
- Get Involved